Saturday, May 28, 2011

How Green are You?

I have never been an organic fanatic.
  However, since I had Cilla I would say that I am much more aware of my surroundings.  I tried to feed her as much homemade or organic baby food as I could when she was an infant.  I try to feed her all natural snacks and foods now that she is older.  I have made some changes in the way that I clean around my house.  I try to be conscious of the dishes that we eat off of and drink out of.  
However, this is really scary.....
So, I thought I would share a few things I have learned from research or from some of my friends who are far more educated on the topic!


Believe it or not, you can handle all your day-to-day cleaning with just seven easily available, inexpensive, environmentally benign substances. Baking soda, washing soda, soap flakes, oil soap, vinegar, borax and ammonia will take care of just about any mess. 

I use a vinegar and water mix (1 part vinegar.  1 part water.) to clean counter tops.  Highchair trays.  Toys.  Anything little hands touch or where food is prepared.
Vinegar and water also makes a great floor cleaner, however I like the BabyGanics Lavender floor cleaner.  I also LOVE my Shark steam mop which does not require any cleaner at all.

Baking Soda is great on tubs and sinks.

I have a recipe for a homemade dusting solution:
1 cup water
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 T sweet almond oil 
30-40 drops essential oil for fragrance.  Lavender is a good option, in my opinion.
Put all of this in a spray bottle and mist on furniture. Shake it before each use. 

It is best to buy organic fruits and veggies.  However, if you live in a smaller town, like I do, this is not always an option.  And, I am fully aware of how much more buying organic can be.  So, one way to wash your fruits and veggies is to wash them with clean water and then wash them with vinegar.  The best method I have found is to mix 1 part vinegar and 3 parts water into a spray bottle.  Spray your fruit (or veggie), rub it to make sure it is coated and then rinse it well.  It does not taste like vinegar if you wash it well.  This is to help get ride of  bacteria and pesticides that are present on produce.

As for meat and milk.  I think this is THE BEST place to start buying organic if you can.  You hear so much about hormones and all kinds of crazy stuff in meat and I, personally, want to avoid that when possible.  Although, I have to say, I do not always buy organic in this area either.  

Best option:  Fresh Produce
Next best option:  Frozen Produce
Last resort:  Canned stuff

One little tidbit I will end on that I always find to be a helpful reminder while grocery shopping:  Try to shop on the outside of the store.  The reasoning behind this is because that is normally (not always) where the natural (animal and plant foods) are located.  When you start walking the aisles, you start to find the canned and boxed stuff and let's face it, this stuff is just not good for us!  Someone once told me, "God gave us everything we needed to survive-plant and animals.  Then man started making things that pollute our bodies."  OUCH!

This can be taken as a grain of sand.  I know that I sometimes feel clueless and love advice from other moms or people who know much more than I do on the topic.  It is certainly not for everyone or for every lifestyle.

2 comments:

Linds said...

we don't have enough in our budget right now to buy organic, but I wish I did! We buy our milk at Braums-- tastes SO much better and is hormone free! And we get a cow every year from a local processor, so it's locally grown and butchered, then frozen fresh. It's great b/c I know where my meat comes from!

Forrest and Elizabeth Williams said...

Thanks for sharing! I'm glad I'm not the only 'crazy' (as my husband likes to call me) out there that cares about all of this. I always wash our fruit and veggies with water and vinegar and clean with water and vinegar...thanks for sharing...and I'll post on my blog to spread the word or on FB! Keep on keepin' on ...it's worth it for sooo many reasons! EJ