We LOVE Mexican food at our house. Love it! And after trying many enchilada recipes, I would say that this is our favorite.
- 3 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2/3 cup Onion and Garlic Mixture*
- 1 (4-oz.) can chopped green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 (10-oz.) cans enchilada sauce, divided
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Mexican four-cheese blend, divided
- 8 (9-inch) burrito-size flour tortillas, homemade if available.
- *Onion and Garlic Mixture:
- 2 cups chopped onion (1 large onion)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
Sauté onion in hot oil in a 3 1/2-qt. saucepan over medium heat 8 minutes or until tender; add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425º. Stir together first 4 ingredients, 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce, and 1 1/2 cups cheese. Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla; roll tortillas up, and place, seam sides down, in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over tortillas making sure it goes down between each enchilada. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake, covered, at 425° for 20 minutes; uncover and bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
I always make a Tomato Avacado salad with this dish and it is delicious. I use whatever greens I have available. Usually a mix of Romaine and Spinach. I cut Cherry Tomatoes in half , cut 1 or 2 Avocados, cut a Red Onion into small slices and toss everything with Paula Deen's Garlic Vinaigrette Olive Oil Salad Dressing. Top with New York Texas Toast Chipotle Cheddar Tortilla Strips right before serving. This salad and some black beans are the perfect finishing touches to your yummy enchilada dinner!